Advocacy Group against Nuclear waste dumping- NO Dump Alliance – launched

logo No Dump Alliance

Advocacy group protests against high-level nuclear waste dump in SA, saying it poses great health, environment and financial risks  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-16/nuclear-dump-protesters-warn-of-cultural-genocide-in-sa/7419406 May 16, 2016  Erin Jones The Advertiser

A NEW advocacy group will lobby against a high-level nuclear waste dump being built in SA.

The No Dump Alliance group launched on Monday and already has the support of several groups, including the Australian Nursing & Midwifery Federation, the Maritime Union of Australia and SA Aboriginal Congress.

The group formed after the Nuclear Fuel Cycle Royal Commission earlier this month recommended the state urgently pursue the opportunity of a nuclear dump.

The No Dump Alliance believes the proposal shows a lack of respect for traditional owners, who opposed the dump and said it could pose significant health, environment and financial risks.

Candice Champion is a Adnyamathanha woman from the Flinders Ranges who said a nuclear storage facility could pose many risks to her community.

“As a young Adnyamathanha woman my family will be affected by this nuclear dump, which is bringing about a lot of anxiety and mental health issues to my family and community,” Ms Champion said.

“These places are of quality and significance to me and people continue to discount the Adnyamathanha voice which is frustrating and disheartening.

“We want to be able to invest in our future generations and be able to pass something over that is important and pristine, not something posing any risks.”

SA Aboriginal Congress chairman Tauto Sansbury said the group must have a united front and it was not just an “Aboriginal fight” to protect the land.

“This will be a united front to protect SA and make sure it continues to grow from other opportunities, apart from being the international dumping ground,” Mr Sansbury said.

“I believe we’re going to win this because this is not just about an Aboriginal fight … it’s everyone’s fight.”

The State Government will use a jury of 350 randomly selected South Australians to make recommendations to it in November on whether to proceed with the plan for a nuclear waste dump.

The jury was part of a six-step process to unfold over the next seven months, culminating in a firm Government position being outlined to State Parliament.

Premier Jay Weatherill has previously stressed the project could not proceed without broad political and community support.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: