This should be mercifully short, because I have been preoccupied with the Nuclear Fuel Chain Royal Commission South Australia, and mostly paying attention only to the 170 recent Submissions that have at last (May 2nd) been published on the Commission website.
Contrary to Commissioner Kevin Scarse’s dismissal of criticisms as ‘just opinion’ ’emotional’, ‘not fact-based’, many critical Submissions are thoughtful, reasoned, and evidence based.
On my Australian website can be found significant extracts from a number of these Submissions.
Submissions came from individuals and organisations. Their criticisms focussed mainly on economic issues, and on indigenous rights. Other issues were safety, especially regarding transport of radioactive trash, security, employment, legality, climate change effects, environment, health, and democratic rights.
A pro nuclear group from Adelaide, anticipating the Commission’s Report, (to be published on Monday 9th May) went to Finland, and came back ecstatic about the prospect of South Australia setting up a nuclear waste import industry.
Just the mere $2000 – $4000 for every single Australian – the cost of submarines purchase from France. Liberal coalition plans nuclear submarine fleet so that we can fight China. Australia buying submarines from notoriously corrupt French firm
Liberal and Labor will downplay nuclear waste issues, until the election is safely over.
CLIMATE CHANGE disruption – the future is happening now. Destructive Wildfire near Canada’s Oil Sands May Have Been Fueled by Global Warming. Climate change is taking its toll on water supplies, and especially – on children. Month after month, global average temperatures reach record heights. Ocean’s small shelled animals suffering from acidification due to global warming.
Leaked TTIP documents cast doubt on EU-US trade deal.
- Exelon nuclear corporation demands tax-payer bailout for its uneconomic power plants.
- Continuing nuclear waste leak at Hanford.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission to re-analyse costs of potential impact of severe accident At Indian Point.
- Documents reveal poor performance of Mixed Oxide Fuel Fabrication Facility (MOX).
- Respiratory diseases, radioactive fumes – concerns in St Louis County, USA.
- Radiation from Santa Susana Field Laboratory in California causing cancers, but this is hushed up.
- Parents near nuclear plant concerned about evacuation plans.
- Sanders and Clinton split on future of Indian Point nuclear station.
- USA’s Energy Dept program ‘Orange Button’ will bring down costs of solar power.
UK. Global danger in transporting nuclear wastes by plane.
CANADA. Cameco cuts back on mining uranium, as market stays slumped.
Former Electricite de France SA Chief Financial Officer says he quit because of financial risks of Hinkley nuclear project. UK nuclear parts made at French plant in fakery probe. ‘400 irregularities’ in nuclear power plant parts – admits France’s nuclear firm AREVA.
OCEANIA. Nuclear shipwreck still highly radioactive over 60 years later.
JAPAN. Fukushima and the Right NOT to Return: Nuclear Displacement in a System for “Hometown Recovery”
NORTH KOREA. North Korea’s nuclear program.