The United Nations has just held the first of two global summits to negotiate “a legally binding instrument to prohibit nuclear weapons, leading towards their total elimination”. This was sponsored by 57 nations, and with 125 nations represented, but the nuclear weapons-dependent nations did not participate.
Does this mean that the conference is meaningless? Perhaps. Yet, increasingly, public opinion supports nuclear disarmament, and those governments are being challenged, to explain their support for nuclear weapons.
Globally, the Paris climate agreement will continue, while Trump Trashes U.S. Climate Policy.
- Insurance catastrophe, with severe floods in Queensland and New South Wales, but of course, nobody is mentioning that nasty left-wing phrase “Climate Change”.
- Energy Minister Frydenberg says that Australia will not dump the Paris climate deal, even if America does. Australian government releases rather unsatisfactory climate review, amid resignations of key advisors.
- Resources Minister Matt Canavan wants $1b for Adani coal, and to cut environmental groups’ charity status. Anti-Adani activists vow ‘direct action’ against mine contractor Downer. Australian Liberals seeking Asian investment for new coal-fired power stations. Fossil fuel industry screwed Australians: mainstream media helped them.
- Need for forward planning for climate change – shown by Hazelwood coal closure.
- Second year of widespread bleaching underway on the Great Barrier Reef.
RENEWABLE ENERGY Australian Energy Market Operator new boss Audrey Zibelman will reform Australia’s energy vision. Success of Australia’s Clean Energy Program.
As costs tumble, Australia poised for large-scale solar boom. Canberra’s shining example of renewable energy development. $1billion battery and solar farm for South Australia’s Riverland. Giles Parkinson explains need for battery storage to be configured properly
Indigenous. Success of Indigenous rangers program: calls for it to be expanded
Environment. Western Australia: Uranium mining OR the rare and beautiful Night Parrot?
Canberra’s Beyond Uranium Campaign Launched.
Climate change forcing indigenous peoples from their homelands.
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA): global economic growth possible with 2˚C scenario with Renewable Energy.
- America leads boycott of historic UN conference on nuclear weapons ban. $Trillions for nuclear weapons, as USA rejects UN nuclear ban conference. How did the Pentagon lose $10 Trillion? Air Force B-2 to Get New Digital Nuclear Weapons.
- Would Trump stage a “terrorist situation” if his popularity went right down?
- Will Westinghouse be able to complete any of its nuclear projects? South Carolina, Georgia, nuclear projects under the cloud of Westinghouse’s troubles.
- Cover-up of America’s nuclear waste disaster: Hanford, Oak Ridge, Los Alamos, Westlake…. Concern about nuclear waste shipments to South Carolina.
- Remembering Three Mile Island.
- Nuclear power, once the “golden goose” for small towns – now a liability.
- Another pretend-environmental nuclear front group joins the throng- “Environmental Progress”.
- Trump attack, in his war on science and on the Earth’s climate.
- Governors of New York and California Reaffirm Commitment to Exceeding Targets of the Clean Power Plan. Wisconsin and Louisiana cities join 23 others in USA, in going for 100% renewable energy.
- Great Barrier Reef bleaching? No, according to Breitbart, that is fake news.
JAPAN. 11,000 Wikileaks documents related to Fukushima. Residents furious over high court decision to revoke Takahama nuclear plant injunction. TEPCO fails to pinpoint melted fuel at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.
NORTH KOREA. Need for America and China to work together on North Korean situation.
UK. Ireland demands to be consulted on potential effects of nuclear power station on England’s west coast. Nuclear decommissioning debacle is costly for Britain. Britain will struggle with nuclear regulatory system, after leaving European Union. Britain’s Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) sounds alarm over doctored papers and security breaches at French nuclear parts supplier. As if in a department store sale day, foreign nuclear companies compete to sell their radioactive products to Britain.
UKRAINE. Danger to Europe of Ukraine’s nuclear corruption.