I scratch around for good news. There is plenty, on the renewable energy scene. And this: CO2 emissions from energy remain flat for third year running. Total number of global nuclear weapons has dropped.
Not so good news. Disaster looms over North Korea: how could this be stopped? US Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, rejects negotiation with North Korea, and keeps journalists out. Tillerson considers a pre-emptive strike against North Korea.
CLIMATE and RENEWABLE ENERGY The week has been a bewildering cascade of news, views, and squabbles about energy. Best news – THE AUSTRALIAN newspaper, longtime mouthpiece of the right-wing and fossil fuel lobbies – today pronounced Australia’s unstoppable transition to renewable energy. ! That came after: South Australia announcing a new energy plan, a huge kerfuffle about gas, heaps of news about solar battery storage, and, finally, a desperate Snow job by Malcolm Turnbull.
The Turnbull magic trick is his plan for Snowy River pumped hydro power. That could work, in the longer term, a decade or so. However it smells more like Turnbull scrambling to cover up government failure to address immediate energy problems, and also to distract attention from Elon Musk’s offer to fix South Australia’s energy by solar and storage, within 100 days.
Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) could require financial institutions to test climate risks’
- A pack of Liberals want nuclear power for Australia. PM Turnbull comes out in his true pro nuclear colours. However, South Australian Liberal Party condemns the plan to import nuclear wastes.
- Sydney Morning Herald on radioactive waste dumping – ignores Lucas’ Heights’ high level nuclear reactor waste.
- Labour’s win in Western Australia means more gloom for the uranium industry.
- UNDEMOCRATIC NUCLEAR WASTE LAW DISEMPOWERS COMMUNITIES AND TRADITIONAL OWNERS
Aboriginal issues. Senate Inquiry told Native Title amendments will disenfranchise Traditional Owners.
EUROPE. The very serious threat of sea level rise.
- Trump budget would boost nuclear weapons spending, slash diplomatic and aid programmes. Savage attack on the environment: the Trump budget. Trump’s budget attack on science.
- Ethics Groups Send Letter to US Attorney Preet Bharara Requesting Investigation of Trump; Within Days Preet was Fired Along with 45 Other US Attorneys. Rupert Murdoch to gain by Trump firing attorney Preet Bharara.
- Trump’s divide and conquer tactics produce a toxic White House environment.
- Republican senator slams Trump’s Nevada nuclear waste dump plan.
- Connecticut lawmakers want to call nuclear power “renewable”.
- Grandfather and granddaughter join forces prevent nuclear doom.
- Thorough research to be done on uranium health effects on Navajo Nation.
- Massive economic costs of climate change.
- Japanese Govt. and TEPCO Found Liable by Court for Fukushima Disaster.
- The illusion of normality at Fukushima. Six years after outbreak of crisis, Fukushima nuclear workers continue to face slander, discrimination: survey. Japanese school children who survived Fukushima meltdown are being subjected to ‘nuclear bullying, Singapore keeping in place Fukushima food import curbs. Olympics being hyped to portray Fukushima nuclear disaster as ‘now OK”
- TEPCO cancels robotic probe of reactor 1. Plan to tunnel under the reactor buildings to remove melted fuel.
- Toshiba might have to pay the buyer, to take failed nuclear unit off its hands.
RUSSIA. Russia Plans to Fuel Floating Nuclear Reactor(s) in St. Petersburg – Endangering the City of 5 Million, Before Towing It Around Scandinavia. Russia will pay Kenya to buy its nuclear technology.
TURKEY. Call for Turkey to get its own nuclear weapons.
FRANCE. Areva factory for nuclear parts gets poor report from regulator.