Japan and the sporting world are cheerfully preparing for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. It will bring in 32.3 trillion yen. And goody – they’re going to have trans gender toilets! Forget about Fukushima. That’s all fixed up. But, actually, – No! Fukushima remains a lurking global catastrophe. Despite the propaganda, Fukushima nuclear clean-up is not under control.
- Attempts to use robots to find and assess the melted fuel within the reactors have failed: the robots died of heat and radiation.
- Over 1000 tanks around the nuclear station hold 900,000 tons of radioactive water, with the quantity soon expected to reach 1m tons.
- The costly “ice wall” around the No 1 reactor has not really worked, to prevent radioactive water getting into the groundwater.
- Fukushima laden with piles of radioactive soil that can’t be moved into storage
- 32,000 workers at Fukushima No. 1 got high radiation dose, Tepco data show.
Fukushima nuclear disaster evacuees pressured to return to contaminated homes. About 40 percent of 42 local leaders along the coasts of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures doubt their areas will recover by the time of the 2020 Tokyo Games due to the ongoing Fukushima nuclear crisis. Link between the Fukushima nuclear meltdown and thyroid cancer in children?. Roaming, radioactive boars slow the return of Japan’s nuclear refugees. Financial crunch time looms for Fukushima’s ‘voluntary evacuees’.
CLIMATE and RENEWABLE ENERGY (I’ve left out heaps here) State of the Environment report says climate change impact on Australia may be irreversible. Australia’s record-breaking summer heat linked directly to climate change. Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (Apra) could require financial institutions to test climate risks. Australia’s peak farming group asks govt to consider emissions trading scheme.
NUCLEAR South Australian Liberal Party condemns the plan to import nuclear wastes.
(I’ve left out heaps. – especially on climate and renewable energy)
Nuclear lobbyists in disarray on what to do about the nuclear industry’s crisis.
USA. Trump brinkmanship as B-52 NUCLEAR BOMBERS sent to South Korea. Trump administration locks out the media, retreats into secrecy. EPA – USA’s Environment Punishing Agency Now – as Scott Pruitt promotes climate change denialism. The Trump and Congressional Republican Assault on Our Environment.
NORTH KOREA. Nuclear warning from North Korea.
JAPAN. Reasons for Japan to dump nuclear power more obvious now than ever.