The most significant article of the week comes from 3 very distinguished writers, in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, in explaining how the USA’s military upgrade means a vast expansion of the killing power of the most numerous warhead in the US nuclear arsenal, with the ability to launch a”first strike”. Consequently, the Russians are gravely concerned, and are developing new sea-based weapons.
CLIMATE an ENERGY . Issues surrounding coal mining dominated the news:
- A Federal Court case about Adani’s plan for Carmichael megamine has just reserved its decision.
- Ian Dunlop, formerly an international oil, gas and coal industry executive and Australian Coal Association chair, calls for an emergency taskforce for clean, renewable energy, and says “the game is up” for coal”.
- Coal power now “univestable”, but Australian government is keen to subsidise it. Turnbull govt appoints coal and uranium boss, Vanessa Guthrie, to the ABC board. Also appoints Sid Marris, a former analyst with the Minerals Council of Australia.
- Industry request for Clean Energy Finance Corporation funds for new coal-mining!
- Conflict of interest: Queensland govt appoints Adani director to oversee coal port!
- Medical profession warns on Adani coal mine as a public health catastrophe.
Economist Prof John Quiggan puts convincing case for public-owned Australian power grid.
Murdoch media wages war on renewable energy.
Solar farms to benefit farmers in Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo areas. Victorian government more than doubles solar-feed-in tariff. Clean Energy Finance Corporation to repeat its solar success in battery storage. National Australia Bank now investing in renewable energy in Europe, US and UK. Plan for solar panels accessible to flat dwellers.
NUCLEAR. A renewed push for South Australia to import nuclear waste, with a letter to politicians from 43 citizens, turns out to emanate from Australia’s most talented nuclear propagandist, Ben Heard. With his nuclear front “group”, Bright New World, Heard is pretty much a one man nuclear band, on the international, as well as the national, pro nuclear scene, and is seeking charity status. Next week he is off to help the South African nuclear lobby, in their very troubled cause.
Radioactive cows buried in Werribee, Victoria.
One of my own articles – Media and nuclear – Australia
CLIMATE. With New El Nino Predicted, 3rd Hottest January on Record May be Cool Mark for 2017. Rapid spread of ocean acidification in the Arctic. Antarctic Sea Ice Hits New All-Time Record Low. Huge slabs of permafrost disintegrating in Northwest Canada. Famine Warning Issued in Four Countries Following Worst African Droughts in Decades. Experts gather at Vatican conference with call to avoid ‘biological extinction’.
EUROPE. Europe’s wild boars posing a radioactive problem
UK. Up to £219 billion to clean up the UK’s nuclear mess: autonomous robots to be developed. Britain’s Failing New Nuclear Programme. UK taxpayers up for tens of billions of pounds sterling as govt bends to pressure to build new nuclear reactors. Hinkley Point C – “risky and poor value for money” – House of Lords Committee. New Nuclear Reactors in Jeopardy because of Brexit? “Small Nuclear” lobby not very happy – says taxpayer funding is essential. Oil and gas boss appointed to run UK’s Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
JAPAN The spin begins- sanitising Fukushima for the Olympics. TEPCO blunders raise doubts on ability as nuke plant operator. Daunting obstacles to Fukushima cleanup, even as evacuees move back. Bribery scandal over Fukushima decontamination.
SOUTH KOREA. Amid Nuclear Reactor Radiation Fears, South Korea Abandons Japan Airport Flights.
Worker sneaked a gun into a nuclear power station. US Senators introduce Bill to promote easier licensing of nuclear reactors. Georgia Power Suspends Study for Nuclear Plant Near Columbus. America’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) itself has nuclear safety culture problems.