A week away from Donald Trump taking over the USA Presidency, and it’s anybody’s guess as to how bad the repercussions of that will be, for climate action, nuclear safety, and the public good. If there happen to be some accidental unintended benefits for they public good, I doubt that these will compensate for the world’s most powerful nation being run by the lead bully boy for corporate America. Barack Obama retires graciously, claiming that “we did”. Perhaps more accurately “we tried”.
Record loss of sea ice in 2016-both Arctic and Antarctic.
Alexei Yablokov, grandfather of Russian environmentalism, dies at 83
Australian not-for-profit, the Alternative Technology Association (ATA) installs solar household systems in East Timor villages.
Loss of Great Barrier Reef will be part of major collapses of ocean ecosystems.
Australia and USA trail behind in renewable energy, as China and India lead.
ACT. Australian Capital Territory prepares for role as clean energy hub and exporter of renewable technology
South Australia. Pro nuclear former Senator Sean Edwards to run for South Australian Parliament, considers leadership of S.A. Liberals . Prominent wealthy nuclear industry fans back former Senator Sean Edwards.
Western Australia. W.A. govt approves Toro Energy’s Wiluna uranium mine, as uranium prices continue to decrease. Western Australia leads the world in wave energy. Heat records smashed in 2016 in many Western Australian towns.
Northern Territory. Darwin’s hottest year on record.
Tasmania. Tasmania needs to be better prepared for climate change and weather extremes.
CLIMATE NOAA– Atmospheric CO2 Increased by 2.77 Parts Per Million During 2016. Copernicus organisation says 2016 ‘hottest on record’ in new sign of global warming. Greenland Ice Melt might cause Atlantic Circulation to Collapse.
ENERGY Bleak future for nuclear revival, with solar and wind costs continuing to fall. Rapid rise in Global Photovoltaic Installation Market is predicted by Transparency Market Research.
- USA’s EPA ( Nuclear Industry Protection Agency) confirms dramatic increase in radiation will be permitted in drinking water
- USA nominee for secretary of defense disagrees with Donald Trump on nuclear weapons. US Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson disagrees with Donald Trump on nuclear weapons.
- The F-35 may destabilize relations between the world’s two greatest nuclear powers — Russia and the US.
- Background to shutdown of Indian Point nuclear power plant. New York’s renewable energy sector is poised to take over from Indian Point nuclear power station New York nuclear subsidies an ‘existential threat’ to wholesale markets -Electric Power Supply Association.
- 17 USA nuclear reactors listed as having possibly flawed parts from AREVA’s Le Creusot forge. Former nuclear town degenerates into a stranded nuclear waste dump .
- Judge rules that Exxon Mobil Corp must hand over climate documents to Massachusetts.
- US Global Change Research Program recommends research into geoengineering for climate change action.
- 100 % renewable energy by 2050 – pledges General Motors. T
- Tesla starts mass production of solar battery cells.
CANADA. Canada’s government releases carbon pricing plan
UKRAINE. Giant solar farm to be built on Ukraine’s land contaminated by Chernobyl radiation.
NETHERLANDS. Trains 100% wind powered for Netherlands, by 2018.
FRANCE. France’s desperate move to save nuclear company AREVA.
RUSSIA. Alexei Yablokov, Russia’s environmental conscience, dies at 83 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2cyS1YUqo
CHINA. China’s $493 billion plan for renewable energy.
TAIWAN. Taiwan will end nuclear power generation by 2025.
JAPAN. ‘Monju was not worth dying for’ – says wife of top nuclear official, who suicided. Toshiba’s $billions loss raise questions about costs for new nuclear power. Coral bleaching kills 70 percent of Japan’s biggest coral reef. Japanese Government hides contamination from Fukushima nuclear disaster while sending evacuees home .
NORTH KOREA. North Korea’s greatly increased plutonium stockpile