Not really. For USA and world politics, most observers are aghast at the team of billionaires that Donald Trump is picking for his administration. In particular, the consequences for climate action look dire.
On the nuclear scene, the facade of success is being maintained by the industry, especially in the UK. where the global industry’s big hope, Hinkley C nuclear project, struggles on. Behind the scenes, the “new Small Nuclear” proponents, often led by Bill Gates, quietly sabotage the “conventional Big Nukes” , and promote small nuclear reactors as “clean”. More about that later.
Julia Gillard on the need for education funding.
Increasing threat of computer hacking on nuclear plants.
David Noonan dissects the draft ARPANSA Information for Stakeholders on nuclear radioactive waste facility.
Local councils, consumers, energy companies lead the way to clean energy.
- Prime Minister Turnbull’s lack of priniciple – kowtows to extreme right on climate change. PM Turnbull under fire for his slavish dedication to the coal industry.
- Senator Nick Xenopohon slams ‘clueless and incompetent’ energy monitor Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO). AEMO’s “Black System” report (about South Australia’s electricity blackout) gets some serious criticism.
- Report finds 100% renewable grid “reliable, robust and stable”.
South Australia. 1835 (and counting) South Australians sign up to No Nuclear Waste Dump for SA. 25 prominent South Australians sign up to Ben Heard’s Bright New Nuclear Bullshit. Taiwan rejects the claim that it would help South Australia to set up a nuclear waste dump. Treaty discussions between Aboriginal nations and South Australian government. Growing food in a desert.
Queensland. The Australian tax-payer is the sole investor in Adani’s coal export plans. Greens urge Queensland government to reject $1 billion taxpayer-funded loan for Adani coal rail line. A month ahead of schedule, Queensland’s huge new solar farm is up and running.
New South Wales. Sydney Lord mayor Clover Moore orders decisive action on climate change.
Western Australia‘s Premier (like South Australia’s) risks political oblivion in promoting nuclear power
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) – jobs growth with renewable energy.
UK. Pro nuclear UK Prime Minister Theresa May heading towards quiet public subsidising of new nuclear stations, South Korea might join the throng marketing their costly nuclear reactors to Britain. Engie, (formerly GDF Suez) might pull out of UK nuclear power plan at Moorside in Cumbria. Confusion in , and opposition to, Bradwell’s Chinese-built nuclear plant plans. Anglesey UK: economy stagnates during the struggle to find finance for Wylfa Newydd New Nuclear.
FRANCE. French Nuclear Industry in Chaos. Financially strapped French company AREVA gets a lifeline. EDF in dire financial straits, too. Global review of nuclear reactors, following news of cover-up of AREVA’s manufacturing flaws. Nuclear worker convicted of terrorism conspiracy – had worked for 3 years while under investigation!
- American scientists making backups of climate data: fears that Trump will destroy climate files.
- USA’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission gives 30 yr old Fermi 2 nuclear plant 20-year operating license renewal.
- Rising costs for Vogtle Nuclear Reactors– Georgia Public Service Commissioners to Decide on Who Pays.
- USA nuclear regulators investigating potential risks linked to falsified French nuclear documents.
- Rick Perry who aimed to abolish Dept of Energy (DOE) – to be named by Trump as DOE Secretary! Nuclear industry confident that Rick Perry as Energy Secretary will boost their industry.
- Nuclear energy should be classed as “renewable”– says Arizona utility regulator.
JAPAN. Japanese government to provide $8.5 billion for a UK nuclear power plant project in Wales. Fukushima evacuee poll finds kids in eight Yokohama-area households had experienced bullying. More Evacuees Sue Govt, TEPCO over Fukushima N-Accident.
CHINA. China again flies nuclear-capable bomber over South China Sea
TAIWAN. Taiwan to hold off on plans for problematic Japanese food imports
GERMANY. Germany’s parliament approves nuclear waste deal with industry