Much as I would love to completely ignore the Trumpomania that now grips the media, and at the same time, seems to paralyse political action, I just can’t – because climate and nuclear policies worldwide now stagnate, like ships in the doldrums, waiting for the new wind – of Trump’s inauguration on January 20 2017.
The Marrakech climate talks, (follow-up to the 2015 Paris climate summit) produced the “Marrakech Action Proclamation”, and some ambitious national programmes, but were described as producing “defiance towards Trump, but little else”. Global green movement prepares to fight Trump on climate change. Trump’s climate denial is just one of the forces that points towards war.
Unease amongst world leaders over Donald Trump’s nuclear policies, and appointments.
On nuclear weapons, the UN General Assembly First Committee voted on Resolution A/C.1/71/L.41 (L.41) States adopted the resolution to hold negotiations on a nuclear ban treaty in 2017. Here at least, some ray of light regarding Trump’s attitude of wanting to negotiate with Russia and North Korea. –Perhaps Secretary General Ban Ki-moon can leave his office with an important victory at the end of his term by seizing this opportunity and encouraging the ‘deal maker’ in Trump to move forward with a US-Russia rapprochement, clearing a pathway for the elimination of nuclear weapons as well as putting an end to the hostilities on the Korean peninsula.
CLIMATE. Turnbull govt – hails climate accord while rejoicing in coal industry! Trump plans to scrap NASA climate research: Australian scientists support NASA. NASA politely debunks Australian climate denying crank Senator Malcolm Roberts. Missy Higgins urges us all – read Naomi Klein’s “This Changes Everything”. Australian doctors warn about climate change and health.
NUCLEAR. Australian uranium fuelled Fukushima. Now about to fuel dangerous Ukraine nuclear reactors.
South Australia. The saga of the South Australian nuclear waste import plan continues – Michele Madigan. Michael West casts a satirical searchlight on South Australia’s nuclear waste import plan. Scarce and his pro nuclear Royal Commission not looking credible. Sunday Mail survey reveals opposition to nuclear waste dump. Political mystery of South Australian Labor tying the State’s prosperity to a nuclear waste toilet. Solar thermal plant is the best solution for Port Augusta.
Victoria to ban fracking.
The case for space – Part 3: Martian delusions.
ARCTIC.Alarm among scientists at ‘Extraordinarily hot’ Arctic temperatures.
RUSSIA.Russia tests intercontinental ballistic missiles for its “nuclear trains” program.
JAPAN. Japan Earthquake: Social Aftershocks of Fukushima Disaster are Still Being Felt. Crisis averted, but is N-plant operator Tepco prepared for a bigger quake? Temporary Radioactive Soil Storage Sites Hinder Fukushima Farmers.
USA. – Nuclear
- Obama administration set to strengthen Iran Nuclear Deal.
- New York Court of Appeals approves right of the state to review Indian Point Nuclear plant’s relicensing.
- Nuclear contractors settle with USA Justice Dept over allegations of improper billing.
- The absurdity of continuing nuclear power, with waste disposal unsolved.
- Savannah River Site could be stuck with stranded nuclear wastes from Canadian research reactor.
- Exelon pushes bills in Illinois General Assembly to subsidise and save its nuclear power stations.
- Nuclear propagandist James Conca shows the industry how to peddle its lies.
USA – Climate
- Property values getting threatened by sea level rise. Climate change IS looking serious!
- Climate action in America’s cities, despite Donald Trump.
- What Does A Trump Presidency Mean For Climate-Change Education?
- America’s energy industries – what to expect from President Trump.
- Obama government pushes a slate of clean energy initiatives.
- Florida’s Amendment 1 would have undermined rooftop solar, but voters were not fooled.
CANADA. Canadian government to review plan to dump nuclear waste close to Great Lakes.
INDIA. Costs too high: India has to delay its nuclear power programme
NORTH KOREA. Fears about North Korea’s nuclear test swish around Donald Trump’s inauguration.
CHINA. China’s ambitious plan, lifting poor communities by means of solar rooftops.
AFRICA. Stark choices face communities in drought afflicted Africa.
EUROPE. Economic and Social Research Institute tots up the cost of a nuclear disaster in Europe – €160bn.
VIETNAM. Vietnam’s legislature endorses scrapping of nuclear power plans