Investigative journalism this week – yes, it still can happen. This time, it’s the Washington Post, revealing the scandalous origin of the rare earths that we use so prolifically in all our new gizmos – from mobile phones to wind turbines.Cobalt mining in the Congo. Graphite mining in China.
NUCLEAR. While climate news is still the BIG one, for Australia, the pro nuclear machinations going on in South Australia form the URGENT one. On October 9 and 10, the second Nuclear Citizens’ Jury will be held in Adelaide. The last Citizens Jury, while being very well run by DemocracyCo, had a strange brief, and some biased and ignorant witnesses.
While in S Australia, all the very expensive preparations and propaganda for nuclear waste importing go on (all at S Australian taxpayers’ expense) the rest of Australia is oblivious. We must thank the subservient Aussie media for this, especially the Murdochracy.
Especially in South Australia, but also in other States, those who care will be protesting against this plan for Australia as the world’s nuclear toilet – on Saturday October 15 –NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION against nuclear waste dumps in SA.Sydney Melbourne.
CLIMATE and RENEWABLE ENERGY.
- Climate forecast: Australia’s weather will get wilder.
- Malcolm Turnbull could, and should, now ratify the Paris climate agreement. Malcolm Turnbull jumps on the anti renewable energy bandwagon. Investors scared, jobs lost, due to unfounded criticism of renewable energy in South Australia.
- Former Liberal leader Dr John Hewson pushes for solar battery storage and solar thermal project near Port Augusta.
- Australia’s first sun-tracking solar farm opens at Majura, Canberra.
- A new wave of wind farm developments is sweeping Victoria.
CLIMATE. Earth is locked into’ Temperatures Not Seen in 2 Million Years. Climate change could become self perpetuating- danger in Indonesia’s peatlands, and fires. Much higher methane emissions from fossil fuels – previously were underestimated. Climate change could bring megadroughts to California. Next month, Paris climate agreement will enter into force.
UN court rejects Marshall Islands nuclear arms lawsuit.
- Hurricane Matthew could endanger Florida’s nuclear reactors.
- Fermi 1 nuclear accident remembered in protest rally- ‘We almost lost Detroit’
- Coalition of New York groups call on State to scrap upstate nuclear subsidies.
- America’s nuclear industry at stalemate, because of its stranded wastes. Federal compensation wanted by town of Rowe, for hosting stranded nuclear wastes.
- Neither Trump nor Clinton give a clear answer on pre-emptive nuclear strike policy. USA Vice Presidential candidates in debate – avoid climate change and energy. Donald Trump vacillates about nuclear waste dumping, and Yucca Mt plan.
- CLIMATE. In USA, Republicans are rejecting reality on climate change – Pew survey. US Dept of Energy spells out good news on wind and solar power’s phenomenal rise.
Diplomacy Is Over As Russia and The U.S. Face Off.
RUSSIA has suspended its nuclear and energy research agreement with the United States.
JAPAN. Nuclear cash cow Monju now a liability for residents as plant faces ax. Japan’s nuclear regulator caves to industry interests yet again–Gives nearly 40 year old reactor a green light before the aging safety review even completed.
UK. Building to Start on New Nuclear Submarines as UK Government Announces £1.3 billion Investment. Britain sited 2 nuclear power plants on eroding shingle beach. So far, in 2016, solar energy is outstripping coal power in UK.
IRAN. U.N. atomic agency chief says Iran sticking to nuclear deal.
NIGER. Tuareg Activist Takes on AREVA: Uranium Mining in Niger.