With 3 weeks to go until the federal election, watching the performance of our major parties is a pretty unedifying sight. If I hear the words “Jobs and Growth” one more time, I will do an Elvis Presley, and throw a tomahawk at the TV set. (Did Elvis really do that? But I digress) Today PM Turnbull mouthed a few motherhood statements about climate, but no policy there. Labor is better, with a promising renewable energy policy. (Of course, neither are breathing a word about Australia importing nuclear waste. Nor is Nick Xenophon, the rising star who might hold the balance of power after the election) ) The Greens have an economically sound renewable energy plan.
I have emailed all Labor MPs, Senators and Candidates, asking each if they want to hold to Labor’s strong anti-nuclear policy, which bars importing nuclear waste, or if they would agree to change it. Few replies, so far, and most replies simply dodge the question. Australians! You could send your own email or use the sample at the end of this email. Contact details for Australian politicians and candidates are here.
On the State scene, South Australian Labor Premier Weatherill and Liberal Opposition Leader Steven Marshall soon off together for a little nuclear lovefest in Finland, to look at Finland’s (not yet operative) nuclear waste repository.
The planned South Australian high level nuclear waste one will need to be up to 28 times the size of Finland’s. That’s around 112 square kms or 5,500 Adelaide ovals, 400 metres underground – and that’s not taking into consideration the 470,000 m3 of low and intermediate level nuclear waste.
- EPA PROPOSES SHOCKING THOUSAND-FOLD INCREASE IN RADIOACTIVITY ALLOWED IN DRINKING WATER.
- 6 USA nuclear stations to have guards with assault rifles.
- Donald Trump Can’t Be Trusted with America’s Nuclear Weapons Codes.
- Scientists, city leaders, local community warn against burial of nuclear waste near San Onofre State Beach.
- Rockland County Lawmakers Want Shutdown of Dangerous Indian Point Nuclear Station.
- “New Nuclear” lobbyists want changed regulations and more tax-payer funding.
- Exelon reactor closures show how the nuclear rot is really settling in for America. Exelon wants license to operate nuclear plant for 80 years.
- USA tries to bend the rules, so Toshiba-Westinghouse can sell nuclear reactors to India.
EUROPE. Heightened threat of a nuclear terror attack. Rising number of thyroid cancers beyond Ukraine, linked to Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Increasing illness among US sailors exposed to radiation near Fukushima.
FINLAND . Finland’s Fennovoima nuclear station dependent on Russia for all the finance
BIKINI ATOLL Alarmingly high levels of radiation remain
TAIWAN environmentalists take legal action against nuclear restart.
RUSSIA. Russia’s Rosatom keenly marketing nuclear power to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos. There’s heap of articles like this one. Russia is marketing its nukes everywhere!
Sample email to Australian Labor politicians
- Labor will:
- Vigorously and totally oppose the ocean dumping of radioactive waste;
- Prohibit the establishment of nuclear power plants and all other stages of the nuclear fuel cycle in Australia;
- Fully meet all Australia’s obligations as a party to the NPT; and
- Remain strongly opposed to the importation and storage of nuclear waste that is sourced from overseas in Australia.