Try as I may, I can’t seem to make this weekly news roundup shorter. I don’t expect that people will read it all, or go to all links. However, just the 3 top links here are very much worth reading. They deal with the subject of ionising radiation. On October 7 Dr Helen Caldicott is speaking at Sydney University on this subject. Meanwhile the global nuclear lobby is intensifying its propaganda lie that ionising radiation is harmless.
- Three Nobel Prize winners calculated the genetic damage of nuclear energy.
- Biological Consequences of Nuclear Disasters: From Chernobyl to Fukushima.
- Film ‘The Martian” gets it really wrong about ionising radiation.
USA’s Small Nuclear Reactors lobby turns to Australia, as safety rules too strong in USA.
CLIMATE CHANGE. Narrow chance left to prevent catastrophic collapse of Antarctic ice shelves. Adani coal mine approval ‘grossly irresponsible’. Turnbull govt postpones effort to stop environmentalists using legal avenues. To meet climate goals, Australia must double decarbonisation. Australia’s doctors campaign for action on climate change. Doctors plan global day of climate action.
SOUTH AUSTRALIA. South Australia Nuclear Fuel Chain Royal Commission. Anti nuclear opinions excluded from #NuclearCommissionSAust’s hearings’ Eloquent Submission to #NuclearCommissionSAust – an Aboriginal Perspective. #NuclearCommissionSAust’s plan to bring radioactive trash to Australia – by Leasing. Dr Helen Caldicott’s submission concerning radiation #NuclearCommissionSAust.
RENEWABLE ENERGY. A network of micro-grids for Australia’s energy future? Solar cars in Australia . South Australia: subsidy for large-scale solar photovoltaic (PV) projects.NSW. Broken Hill’s solar mega-plant operational this year. Australian Capital Territory inviting Tesla Motors to research renewable energy. Victoria. Australia’s govt urged to push renewable energy – ‘All Energy Australia’ in Melbourne.
Narrow window of opportunity to prevent rapid drastic fall in Antarctic ice sheets.
- ‘New Nuclear” lobby wants to weaken USA’s safety regulations.
- USA’s nuclear industry staggers to its tomb, as Pilgrim Station shuts down. Financial facts were the killer. Closure of Pilgrim nuclear station opens a new era of costly, dangerous, radioactive trash clean-up.
- Threat of out of control fire to radioactive trash site. Is the Missouri Landfill Fire a US Chernobyl or Fukushima in the Making?
- Burial of radioactive trash at San Onofre? NOT a good idea.
- The fight to preserve pure water in Nebraska from uranium mining contamination.
- Move for Grand Canyon Monument that would ban uranium mining.
- Dramatic fall in price of solar electricity.
UK. Together Against Sizewell C (TASC) plan legal action against Hinkley nuclear power project. Britain fawns over Xi Jinping – preparatory to China taking over UK’s nuclear industry . Security concern over China’s involvement in UK’s nuclear project Overwhelming costs of Britain’s Trident nuclear submarines – cannot be measured. How UK govt helped the nuclear industry hide the truth on the Fukushima catastrophe.
FRANCE. Nuclear energy falls from France’s pride and joy, to its expensive source of woe.
SWEDEN shutting down 2 nuclear reactors.
JAPAN. No evacuation plan, yet PM Abe restarts another Sendai nuclear reactor. Second nuclear reactor started at Sendai, despite public opposition. Anxious about 2020 Olympics, Tepco to hasten ice wall project at Fukushima nuclear station.
SOUTH KOREA. Expansion of South Korea’s massive Kori Nuclear Power Plant near 3.4 million people – an insane plan.
INDIA. Record low price for solar power to be sold by Indian Government.
CHINA keen to market nuclear technology overseas.
KENYA. Remote Kenya will be connected to grid with Africa’s larges wind farm.