Leading up to Paris Climate talks, the nuclear lobby is still going hard at spinning Lie No. 1 – that New Nuclear technology solves the radioactive trash problem. But for October, the focus is on Lie No. 2, – that ionising radiation is harmless, indeed , good for you.
Their favourite tactic is to confuse the public, by comparing the harmless Potassium K in bananas (of very low radioactive intensity), with man-made Cesium 137 and Strontium 90 (of very high radioactive intensity). Their next favourite is to promote the quack theory of “hormesis” – the claim that ionising radiation is actually beneficial to health.
South Australia Nuclear Fuel Chain Royal Commission. Analysis of the pro nuclear submissions shows that the major aim is to get South Australia to set up “New Generation” nuclear reactors. (yes, they’re the ones that still exist only on paper). The nuclear companies, not South Australia, would pay the costs of setup – because Australia would pay them back later from the proceeds of importing radioactive trash. The Commission is paying lip service only to renewable energy as a”low carbon’ option.
Of course most of these submissions come from nuclear companies, from individuals connected to nuclear technology, and from a couple of wannabe famous South Australian politicians.
However, the nuclear front group The Breakthrough Institute also has a submission published.
Meanwhile, at the public hearing in Adelaide , October 1st, Dr Arjun Makhijani explained the diseconomics of nuclear power, the irrelevance of it to climate action, (too slow), and the futility of the drive for Small Modular Nuclear reactors (SMRs).
Nuclear lobby aiming to overturn an Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act ban
BHP and Toro energy look to climate action as the reason why the uranium market ( now in doldrums) should have a ‘renaissance’, though, interestingly, BHP actually mentions the possibility of another nuclear disaster mucking things up for them. Toro’s Wiluna uranium project is now stalled indefinitely.
Renewable energy. Australian govt to promote battery storage, through Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC). Australia world top in household solar panel installations. Canberra school Amaroo to get benefits from ACT’s largest rooftop solar system.
Don’t fall for nuclear industry propaganda about radiation “hormesis” !
CLIMATE CHANGE. Still possible to contain climate change: Paris UN conference will be critical. Pope Francis’ US visit has triggered awareness of climate change as a moral issue. Bank of England warns on climate change’s threat to global stability. Coming refugee crisis as sea levels rise on Pacific Islands.
JAPAN. Afraid about radiation, but afraid to speak out: Fukushima mothers. Japan’s coastal population: risks from radiation ignored by govt and IAEA. Death of heroic anti war photographer Kikujiro Fukushima. Fukushima’s Unitno.5 nuclear reactor was gravely endangered, IAEA finally admits. ‘Japanese govt creates illusion of normality at Fukushima’
GERMANY. Massive Protest Planned Against New Atomic Weapons In Germany.
- Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn opposes renewal of Trident nuclear weapons programme.
- PICAT – A Public Interest Case Against Trident, co-ordinated by Trident Ploughshares.
- Dr Ian Fairlea sets out the grim facts on costs at the end of the nuclear power chain.
- British media needs to wake up to the national scandal of the Hinkley nuclear project.
- British nuclear submarine stricken with technical problems off coast of Iran.
- Shetland Islands Council endorses Mayors for Peace call for nuclear weapons free world.
- Tick of approval for NRC’s decision to Restore Public Access to Information.
- Former Los Alamos worker counters the disinformation from the nuclear lobby .
- Storage of radioactive debris on beach near San Onofre nuclear facility!
- NBC4 investigates cover-up of Southern California nuclear disaster.
- Medical and Media Manipulation by Boeing, in cover-up of USA Nuclear Disaster.
- Nuclear lobby keen to ‘educate’ public.
- USA nuclear fans trivialise effects of nuclear bombing.
SWEDEN European court upholds Sweden’s right to tax nuclear power stations.
SOUTH AFRICA ‘s Treasury kept its nuclear work secret.