As the global nuclear lobby, and Kevin Scarce’s South Australia Nuclear Fuel Chain Commission continue their machinations, there is a powerful force ensuring that their new “nuclear renaissance” is not going to happen in Australia, or anywhere.
Climate change is bringing extreme temperatures and weather events, and sea level rise, to Australia.
For Australia, the threats from global warming are very real:
- bushfires would pose the greatest threat to any nuclear facilities, (as Ukraine and USA are already finding out).
- Droughts bring water shortages, meaning that precious water is not easily available for water guzzling nuclear reactors.
- Where inland reactors are water-cooled – the threat to river life of heat pollution becomes greater.
- There would be increased danger to the Great Artesian Basin , especially for any nuclear facilities located in South Australia
- For coastal nuclear facilities, sea level rise and storm surges are dangers.
- For many nuclear facilities ( reactors, fuel processing, waste disposal), coastal or inland, flooding brings more danger.